- This little circuit board may look tiny but inside is a high efficiency DC/DC step-down converter which can output up to 3 Amp at 5V without the need of any heat-sink or forced cooling.
- UBEC stands for “universal battery eliminator circuit” and this UBEC is designed to replace a 5V supply in RC planes and ‘copters but its also great for any kind of microcontroller or electronics project that runs off of 5V.
- We tried a half dozen different ‘BECs and found this one to be the best in terms of range and stability. You can check the technical tab for the analysis of input/output range and current draw.
- To use, connect 6V-23V to the shorter, thicker wires and 5V will be generated on the thinner, longer wires.
- You’ll get 5V (+-5%) regulated output from 6 – 23VDC input. 3A output current, 5A peak – if you’re trying to draw 3A you’ll need to give it a little more than 6V though, 7V works well.
- The UBEC has built in filter capacitors on the input and output, but its a switching supply so its a little noisy compared to a linear regulator.
Aeronautics & Robotics